RDP vs. VPN: A Comprehensive Comparison
The concept of remote working has been hyped since COVID-19. From then till now and in the upcoming future, too, people will work from home because it is much more comfortable and has also improved the overall productivity of the workforce. Basically, two concepts are being used in the remote work: RDP and VPN.
Many people don't understand the difference between these two things, and since they both provide the same advantages, people confuse them with each other. However, there are a lot of differences between RDP and VPN. So, let's jump right into the article to know the difference between RDP vs VPN.
Part 1. What is RDP?
Before getting straight into the differences between VPN and Remote Desktop, let’s first have a look at their individual details. Mentioned below is all the information about RDP, how it works, and its advantages and disadvantages.
Definition of RDP
RDP, also known as the Remote Desktop Protocol, is a protocol that Microsoft first developed. Through this system, you can get the graphical interface for the users so they can connect with other computers and systems of their organization over a secure network connection.
With the help of the RDP system, users can easily access the data on one computer from another device. An easy way to describe the RDP is that it creates a virtual connection between your device and the remote computer. You can also control the screen of your computer and the remote desktop. Hence, you will be able to control all the files and programs and access all the other information from the remote computers.
Remote Desktop Protocols are software that creates the tunnel for remote users and organizations. With these tunnels and software, you will be able to access all the data from one computer and even send the data through a secure network.
Advantages and Disadvantages of RDP
Now that you know what RDP is, you should know the pros and cons you can have from using the Remote Desktop Protocol.
Advantages of RDP
- Full Control: RDP offers full control over the remote computer. This means you will be able to access it like you are sitting in front of it. You can open the files, programs, and everything on that remote computer and use it through your device.
- Software Compatibility: Another great advantage is using the Remote Desktop Protocol on any software. This means you can easily use the RDP with Windows, Mac, Android, and whatever software you have.
- Security: Between RDP vs VPN, Remote Desktop provides better security. There is proper multi-step authentication that the users need to do to use the RDP for their companies. This ensures that no unauthorized person can access important information about the company.
- Resources Usage: The processing of the data and files is done through the remote devices. This means you can even use the RDP on low-end devices.
Disadvantages of RDP
- Connection to the Internet: When you are using the RDP, you need to have a stable connection to the internet. If the internet is not working correctly, you might face problems accessing and sending the files from one device to another.
- Limited: Another major drawback of using the RDP is that it can be used on one device at a time. If you want to use a lot of different devices, then you need to use multi-RDP connections.
Part 2. What is a VPN?
Now, coming to the second part of RDP vs VPN, that is, what is VPN and how it works. Below is detailed information about VPN.
Definition of VPN
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network, a service that encrypts the internet and then routes you through different servers for a location of your choice. When using the VPN, the IP address will be changed, and you will be using a different server protected to serve the websites.
With the help of a VPN, you can easily protect your internet traffic and user identity. This means that VPN can also be considered as a security solution. This also provides remote network access to the users without any consideration of the location they are in advanced encryption and tunneling tools create a secure link between the user and the network.
The users can use a VPN in an organization to connect to remote networks and then access sensitive information about the companies. Their identity will be protected; hence, they won't be exposed to unauthorized users.
Advantages and Ddisadvantages of VPN
Now that you know everything about VPNs, you should also know the advantages and drawbacks of using a VPN.
Advantages of VPN
- Security: This is a secure network connection through which the data can be encrypted. With the help of a VPN, it is difficult for third parties to look into your activities and track them.
- Access to Network Resources: You can also easily access the local network when connected to the VPN. You can quickly get the files, programs, and other things.
- Internet Freedom: A VPN is also used for freedom over the internet. It is suitable for people who want to use websites that are geo-restricted. You can access the websites that are blocked in your country.
Disadvantages of VPN
- Speed: Using a VPN can cause your internet connection to slow down because the continued encryption and decryption of data causes the internet connection to slow down.
- Complexity: The VPN is a complex system; therefore, setting it up and using it can be challenging for people.
Part 3. What are the Differences Between RDP and VPN?
Now that you know what VPN and remote desktop are, you must also know the difference between RDP and VPN. Mentioned below are some of the significant differences between these two.
- Functionality: When it comes to functionality, the VPN provides a secure connection that can be used at different locations. On the other side, the RDP controls one specific computer or device and allows the user to use the computer as if they were sitting in front of it.
- Security: Regarding security, the VPN can secure an encrypted connection through the tunnel, making it perfect for people not to track the activity. The RDP connections can be secured; however, the security depends on how the manufacturers made the RDP and the passwords' strength.
- Usage: Businesses mainly use VPNs so that their employees can easily access corporate networks. The VPN is also used by people who want to bypass the geographic restrictions on content. RDP is used for technical support by people working for remote workers who want to access the information.
- Resources Access: VPN is perfect if you want access to all the resources such as file servers, printers, and all the other things. However, when it comes to RDP, you can only access the files present on the computer you are accessing. Other than that, you won't be able to access anything.
Part 4. An Easier and Safer Way to Remote Access: Avica
VPN and RDP are used in many different scenarios and can be very helpful in business setups. But the problem comes when you have to pick the right one for your company. Sometimes, there are also chances that these two things won't work for your organization, and you want something better and easy to use.
In this case, we have the perfect solution. Avica Remote Desktop is a great third-party software that offers the best remote desktop features. Avica provides end-to-end comprehensive AES-256 encryption and a privacy mode to prevent privacy breaches.
Avica also offers a multi-channel system to its users. There are also game controllers that can be connected here. Furthermore, you can also connect unlimited devices with this platform and use the remote desktop in all of them.
Hence, because of the high performance and a package of different features, this has become one of the best choices for the users of remote desktop.
Steps to Use Avica
Feel free to download Avica software by clicking the button below. If you're seeking additional information about Avica product downloads, you can visit the Avica download page. Rest assured, Avica guarantees the safety and virus-free nature of all products obtained from the official website or app store.
Suppose you think of using Avica but don't know how, then worry not. Below, we have mentioned the steps you can follow to use Avica.
- Download the Avica software on your local and remote devices; once it is downloaded, you need to launch it.
- The next thing you have to do is initiate the remote session on the local device by adding the credentials such as the Avica ID of the remote device and then click the "Connect" button. Enter the Password of the remote device when called for.
- Once you have connected, you can efficiently operate the features of Avica and use them for remote desktop.
RDP vs VPN are two things that people might often hear nowadays. These two terms are very interconnected but still very different. Therefore, it is essential to know the difference between RDP and VPN. Hence, we hope this article was beneficial for you in understanding these two things so that you can pick the right one for yourself and your company. If you want to avoid complex configuration processes and obtain a secure remote access experience, then we also recommend you try Avica remote desktop software, which will allow you to achieve your goals more easily and quickly.